Saturday, June 21, 2014

Grandparents Day and the End of Kindergarten

School has been out for less than a month - but these end of the year memories already feel SO long ago! Here we go...

Owen's school has a sweet day every spring to honor all the grandparents and other special folks in our kids' lives. Nana and Bee were able to join Owen, Kyle and I. (Dahdo, Pam, JoJo and Grandpa Robert couldn't make it - but we perhaps we'll just take 2-3 at a time and rotate them through the next few years!) I think it was really fun for Owen to show off his classroom.
 
All of the kiddos had a poster to share their "family project" - I've mentioned ours...
And then his class showed off some of the awesome things they'd learned this year - some books, phonics, scripture. It was so impressive!
Owen hamming it up with his best buddy Hayes.
Embarrassed he was caught being silly by mommy.

Okay...jumping forward a little bit. Senior Chapel. As the name would imply this is the last Chapel for the seniors and its pretty sweet for the kindergarteners too. They each walk in with their "buddy."
I made my way down the line of pairs to find Owen. (On the way I asked one of his little buddies if he had seen Owen - he told me "oh yeah! he's in the very back. or the very front. or the middle."
Well, I found him with this guy! (I'm having a moment and I can't remember his name...)
Walking in...can't believe Owen will be his size before we know it.

Okay, jumping again. The end of Owen's after school class - Art & Nature. His sweet teacher - Miss Adams - is the daughter of his actual kindergarten teacher Mrs. Adams. She was so good with these guys. (Something on my summer to-do list - after updating the blog! - is to scan or photo some of his masterpieces (and the girls' from school). He's holding his favorite...
This picture is hugely significant - the FINAL KINDERGARTEN READER! Sixty down!!! My little champ.
We couldn't have done it without this sweet lady - Mrs. Adams  - as memorialized in Owen's tribute to her. 
Dear Mrs. Adams, I love you. You are a great teacher, love Owen.

Ditto Owen - we love you Mrs. Adams! 

*A few other fun memories about the end of the year I don't want to forget. 

-LEGO BATTLE: One of the "centers" in Owen's classroom was legos and it was frequented by a set of boys who planned a LEGO BATTLE for the last day of school. Here's what I know. There were teams. The teams' membership changed often. The teams invented star-wars-type ships. The ships "battled." Winner and losers were declared. What I don't know: Who came up with this. How winners and losers were chosen. So many other things because little boys are just funny...

-TRAMPOLINE + SPRINKER + PIZZA + RICE CRISPY TREATS W/ SUNBUTTER AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS ON TOPS = PARTY!
We pulled together the quickest, easiest end-of-year party for our little class - every single kiddo except the one little girl who was already on a beach trip for summer made it. Plus siblings. It was a really sweet afternoon.  

No comments: