Saturday, June 8, 2013

Man Make Fire. Man Eat Meat.

One of the things we love about our new house is having a guest room. A quick glance back at our calendar tells me that its been occupied about 25% of the nights since we've been in the house.

One of those guests has been our friend Carlos - one of Kyle's roommates from college. He's working/traveling this summer and we are his Austin home-base. Carlos is a man w/ many many many talents. I have a running list of recipes I want from him. There is one I probably won't ask for - not because its not good - in fact, it's amazing - but because it is soooo labor intensive. (I'm fearful Kyle is being drawn into another hobby!) 

Prepping the meet: 3 15-lb beef brisket
Prepping the smoker
The set-up at the bottom of our driveway - the borrowed smoker, table w/ supplies, standard camping chair, dedicated Smoke-Master. (Doesn't show the air mattress in the garage Carlos slept on - when he slept at all - during the 18 hour process.)


 Tending the fire and the meat.
Waiting, waiting, waiting.
The leaky smoker didn't want to stay hot enough so they finished in the oven, but not until the proper smoke ring was achieved.
My kids were like: Hey Carlos, what are those? What??? You are MAKING beans? Don't they just come from a can??? (
BBQ Sous Chefs in the making
We ate on one brisket for a good week. Have more in the freezer for a rainy day. Don't they say food tastes better when you make it yourself? I would like to amend that and say that food tastes better when Carlos makes it for you. Thanks man!

No comments: