So, I've got lots of updates to do, but Kyle asked me to prioritize getting our taxes done (he's such a slave-driver) and even I couldn't argue with that. But I couldn't resist sharing these two photos.
This has been the dominating view from pretty much every angle in our living area and kitchen - a giant rocket ship.
Owen's class built it (with the help of several very man-crafty dads). It was originally covered completely in foil and even had blinking lights/keyboards/other spare electronic pieces inside. I had heard all about it and Owen kept telling me how big it was but I clearly didn't quite believe him. So when his teacher emailed the class parents and asked if anyone wanted to take the rocket home before it went to recycling (the unit was over) I said sure!
When I saw this beast in the school hallway (with Owen & Rebecca in tow) I did a laugh/cry. How in the world??? No way I can get this home. But with Owen on the verge of tears at the prospect of leaving it there...we found a way.
Actually, we found a Mr. Charles. Who had a huge exacto blade and bungee cord. He cut it in half and shoved it in the van and it was a miracle we made it home without pieces flying all over Mopac. But we did. And after a little reassembly, the kids were about the happiest little astronauts ever.

Now its in the deconstruction phase on our back porch. I told the kids to pretend it crash-landed on the moon, you know, to ease the pain of seeing it taken apart and thrown away. It's not helping much. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment