Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Tetons

I have pretty much written this exact post before in an effort to record Kyle's Spring 2011 trip to Canyonlands. Same story from my end: Kyle takes a cool guy's trip (or cool-guys trip?), Ali wants Kyle to put a summary on the blog for all of our avid readers, Kyle is busy and doesn't really blog and Ali forgets to ask (=nag) him, Kyle leaves for "Meat Retreat" (the final hunting and meat processing weekend of the deer season), at the same time Alison is trying to wrap up the previous year so she can print the blog so Alison writes the post.

So, welcome to Kyle's 2013 Teton's Trip - a la Alison. And to make this post even less accurate, I not only chose the "highlight" photos but when I was uploading them it took them completely out of the order they were in on our computer (which I hope/assume was chronological) - probably because they are from different cameras, so this is a jumbled mess. And I'm not going to try to rearrange them. And I'm not going to get any of the facts right about where exactly they were or what they did. But I may not be able to help myself from offering a little bit of sarcastic commentary. 

Cast of characters (probably the only thing I'll get right): 
Kyle
brother builder gun-slinger Luke
friend former and current housemate Carlos
friend German fellow anesthesiologist Gunnar
friend builder hunter Joel

And the Afghan woman they met on the trek. Wait no, that's just Carlos
 I'm good. Or Gig'em. Probably both.
 My man. Hot helmet. :)
 Bros
 Pretty lake - I know you can see that, but I just can't help myself.
 4 out of 5 lightweight backpackers cut their toothbrushes in half
 Carlos insta-cool filter
 Kyle wants an entry like this to our house. I told him maybe.
 But none of these.
 This was supposed to be the beginning.
Just Wow
 This was supposed to be the end.
 Ah, the clean and fed cowboys.
 From the drive in I think
 Moose
 Moose tracks?
 Cary a hand gun
 Homemakeing, boy-style
 Doing his tied-for-first favorite thing (backpacking and deer hunting)
 Months of planning, meticulous weighing and spreadsheeting and cutting weight and these boys bring 3 (4?!) DSLR cameras and a couple of phones w/ cameras. The one they planned using, the back-up, and a Carlos stow-away that felt at home with his extra power bars.
The tripod was actually a great idea though
 Hope they have years and years of trips like this. (But also I'm taking donations to get a hat for Kyle that keeps his head warm and doesn't get all pointy like a smurf hat.)
 Peaceful. Deceptively cold.
 I kept calling this skree but I think it has another name because the pieces are so big.
 Their system improves every year - I think next time they're all carrying maps. Can't hurt!
 Basecamp
 Either a park-provided anti-bear food canister, or Carlos' stash of extra snacks. Not sure.
 The kitchen
 The view
 The soup
The cook (at least here)
 Joel: Yippee!
 I haven't actually tried to point out the Tetons - could those be they?
 Gettin' serious
 Are they tired?
 Gunnar letting the wind help
 Wow Luke, just wow.
 Oh, maybe the 4th camera was the little video one.
 Resting the footsies
 Done and done. (Or ready to start?) I think done.
 This was getting ready. In fact I think all of these coming up are from the beginning.
 Amazing
 Love the colors in this one.
 More Moose. I am dying to see one of these. I need to actually go somewhere that they live.
 I have less of a need to see one of these - I think they said they saw 3-4?
 One of my favorites.
 Another Bar - doesn't it look a little close to you? Hopefully we're zoomed in here...
 This took them somewhere I'm assuming.
 Love me some solar flare.
Okay, well I probably really botched most of this but at least the photos are preserved. These boys really do love these trips and its easy to see why. I'm sure they're already dreaming about their next one. And I'm sure I'll mess up that post too. :)

No comments: