Kyle and I have really cool friends. Seriously - we have some real stand-outs in the friend category. This is mostly true because they're rock-solid, salt-of-the-earth people who love Jesus and love to have fun. It doesn't hurt that some of them have cool jobs and live in cool places.
One such set of friends is Trey and Leah Tull - Kyle was roomies with Trey in college and they are just awesome. Four kids and still smiling? The Tull Family rocks our face off (as my college roomie Megan used to say). Anyways...Trey is the Director of Singing Hills at Laity Lodge Youth Camp - an awesome Christian summer camp in the most breathtaking part of the TX Hill Country (near Leakey). (When Rebecca says LLYC it sounds like "lady lodge".)
We've been out to camp before in the off season but never before during the summer when camp is in session. This was SUCH a treat!!! The Tull's live on camp and we stayed in 2 rooms of a little staff house next door to their casa. We had a great two days/two nights. We got a great mix of family hang out time, and individual/couple time. The kids got to spend some of each day with "Canyon Club" - the mini-camp run for all the kids of the different directors - sort of like a little VBS. They luuuuuved it - and we loved the break. We were so busy I didn't take many pictures - which probably means it was good family time!
Trey was instrumental in designing the super-impressive zip-line/ropes course at the camp - which we got to try out!
Getting hooked up to Daddy.
Off they gooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (Yes - that's over the Frio River!)
Owen - our uber cautious child - did great. Yea! I, on the other hand, did not - and I completely blame Kyle. :) It was his job to tap his helmet as a signal for me to break and he overtapped and I overbreaked so...about 20 yards from the tree platform is where I stopped and dangled. Awesome. Trey yelled the instructions for my "rescue" (which involved sending me a rope and being yanked to safety). Kyle - my hero!!! (Still totally his fault.)
Then we had to cross this little "Burmese Bridge" - and I have to say I enjoyed it less than the zip line, which is a nice way of saying I was cursing under my breath so as to not freak Owen out.
I made it across first - here is Owen about to come over with Kyle. (Just to clarify - you're always clipped in.)
There were a total of 3 ziplines that we did - they got progressively shorter and lower to the ground so Owen (and probably me too, if I'm totally honest) enjoyed them progressively more. We were just both glad we got him to do it at all!
We also went out on kayak/water bikes, attended the "rodeo" the first night we were there - which was a muddy fun rootin' tootin' good time, and took all the kids fishing and they ALL caught something. Ah-mazing.
All in all the trip made me SUPER nostalgic for Camp Buckner and our days there. Wow - what good times. My nostalgia hugged the line of early mid-life-crisis a bit...while the Tulls and Kyle were fine to hang out at their house (and avoid camp craziness a little - which is totally understandable for Trey because it was his day off!) I just wanted to go hang out with all the college students working there for the summer! Not sure if I want them to be my friends (because in my head I'm still young/cool) or if I want to disciple them! I think a little of both.
Anyways, we had a great 2 days. Caught a pretty incredible sunset on our drive home too. Just pulled over too late to catch a better shot.
Thank you Tull family for such a great couple of days!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment