Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Oh Maggie

Shhhhhhhhhh!
Your guess is as good as mine as to why she really really likes to shush people right now. Its mostly sweet/funny. It's also understandable - #3 trying to create a space where she can get a word in edgewise.

Trampoline time
The new cheese face - she is a HAM.
iphone selfies w/ Daddy
We did a little experiment a few weeks ago where we skipped her nap. It backfired. She would fall asleep somewhere (preferably car or back of Kyle's bike on our really rough/bumpy neighborhood roads) at around 4:30 or 5:00. And let me tell you that even 20-30 minutes of sleep at that time of day made bedtime even harder than 1-2 hours in the early afternoon. No good. So, we're back to a normal napping schedule, but we limit her to 1 hour and it has seemed to help. That and no more daylight savings time.
We still love Pip and Posey, but these have been her two favorite books for the past 4-6 weeks - we keep re-checking them out from the library. I finally turned them in last week and Maggie handled it surprisingly well, saying "We see them again, sometime". Both are super sweet and I think we both have every word memorized, plus her commentary. We pretty much read them daily before her nap - she'd lay on me (in my closet, where her tent it - its quite a picture) - this is the type of parenting moment I want to remember!
More hamming it up for the camera - the big smile head tilt look is so in right now.
If you pay attention you can tell if Marisela (our wonderful babysitter) has been around. If she hasn't, Maggie's hair is either just down or in a pony-tale. If "Sella" has been around she has elaborate twists and braids. This is what they look like after a full day of playing.
And some trike riding. I can't tell whether she prefers the trike or her glider bike right now - they both get used a lot.
Yelling: Outta my way!
WPDS official school photo for 2014-15
More moments from life w/ Maggie:
  • I'm sure I've mentioned this before but she's obsessed w/ my iPhone - and surprisingly she's the only kiddo in our family who really cares about it (which is good)! She's also the best at navigating it. Her favorite thing to do with it right now (other than watch videos of herself and the other kids on it) is to put it in camera mode and walk around taking pictures or sometimes must pretending to take them. She says: Say cheese eh-body! (pretend snap) Ooooh, good one! 
  • For her 2nd birthday some friends gave her a little wooden Melissa/Doug puzzle set w/ 3 bears that you can dress in different clothes. It sat on our toy shelf for a while but for the past 4 months or so she has been obsessed with it. They are her bears. As in, where my bears go? Hang(d) on momma, got to get my bears! We allow her to have books in bed at night (in an attempt to keep her in bed when she's not quite tired) and her bears somehow made the cut-off too. What's amazing to me is that it has a lot of pieces and even though she carries it all over the house at multiple points during the day she has managed to keep up with them all - I think she actually cares. Her favorite is putting all 3 bears into their jammies before bedtime. 
  • When something is not okay (she, ahem, poops in her undies; or spills milk - don't cry) she sticks her hand out (stop-in-the-name-of-love style) and says Isss okay, Is OKAY!!!
  • When something happens that she doesn't like (e.g. spills milk) she says Not again!!! (I especially find this funny because its usually the first time - at least in a while, maybe ever.)
  • Apparently I like to smell her when she gets out of the bath because the other day she saw me right after a shower and she said Oooooh momma...momma all keen? I'onna smell you!!! (sniffs my wet hair) Ooooh, smells good! All keen!!! I could repeat that every day and be happy. 
  • Very into familial titles - likes to talk about my sister, my brother. This is Owen, he's my brother. This is Rebecca, she my sister. Also knows Kyle and I's real first names. So funny to hear her use them. (Ask my mom - I went through a phase at about 3? where I called my parents Stan and Becky.)
  • You probably know this but each of the kiddos have "their song" - a hymn Kyle and I picked for them when they were born. But in practice Maggie's song is the first stanza of each of the three - makes sense - since she has heard us sing O and R's songs probably just as much as hers. So, for Maggie her song is "Fountain-Dodabud-Bision." (Come thou Fount of Every Blessing = Fountain, Before the Throne of God Above = Dodabud, Be Thou My Vision = Bision). I asked her the other day who these songs were all about. Her response: Uhhhh, Micky?  
  • Even when something is exactly like she says things like Um, its kinda like purple...It's kinda like apple. 
  • When she's doing something she isn't supposed to and I ask her about it she says: Its noffing momma, it's noffing. 

No comments: