Blog Binge Below:
Keeping up my average of roughly a post a week (but usually doing them in bursts when I finally take photos of the camera/phones and dedicate a naptime), here are six new posts. Happy reading. ;)
Last I updated you on the smoker it was getting primed for its maiden voyage. Well, it has been there and back! I think we've used it 3 times but they're starting to blur together a little bit. I know he started w/ a pork shoulder (boston butt) for pulled pork which we got to share w/ friends. The next venture was a big one - we decided to commandeer our monthly neighborhood gathering "First Friday Happy Hour" and turn it into a pot-luck with pulled pork (the safety) and brisket (the new venture). The third was for a family gathering w/ a bunch of the McElroy crew (Alison's family - dad side). But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Grandpa Robert delivering hill country post oak - coke can sized - right on the money!

Working on his pork rub - Memphis Dust.
Kyle has experimented w/ two different ways to do the brisket - one w/ a fancy rub, one w/ only salt/pepper ("dalmation style" which is how the Franklin's guy does it).
This is his blow-torch thingy (attaches to a propane tank) to keep the side fire going (to make coals). (It's also super handy at torching weeds!!!)
Rub rub rub
The Texas Crutch (wrapping the meet after the smoke ring has been established) to keep it moist. Still figuring this one out...have crutched, not crutched, crutched late...
The shfancy thermometer w/ chordless remote thingy
First Assistant
First Princess (w/ shield)
Okay, fast forward...the invite went out on the neighborhood list serve and given previous months where all we had was beer and popsicles but still had a great turnout - we're expecting a crowd. And they came! Roughly 75 people - or 28ish households. Brisket was a little moist. But it was devoured. Pork was his best yet. Sides were plentiful.
Just one plate left...
The crew in the front yard...
Down the driveway, into the backyard...
All the kids really care about is right here:
Seriously, we had such a fun night. The weather was perfect. The food was great. The crowd was awesome - new and repeat neighbors. Can't wait til next month!
FYI: We did end up making a poster all about "First Friday: BBQ Edition" for Owen's "family project" for school today - it was on display at Grandparent's Day (which will get its on post shortly).
Kyle did a repeat of the brisket (this time a little dry) just 2 days later because I had some extended family in town and it was a good time to get a bunch of the Austin McElroy's together. Once again, great folks, yummy food. My brother's birthday gathering was just a few days after that w/ some of my mom's side of the family and we opted for store-bought chicken because we were in BBQ overload (both diet-wise and because of how intense the process is).
On that note, I think we were too optimistic that investing in a good smoker (not leaky like the borrowed one from our Carlos days last summer) would mean after the fire got started it would pretty much be on autopilot...NOT SO. Keeping that bad boy between 225 and 250 requires constant vigilance and generally adjusting the fire (and therefore keeping the side fire ready w/ hot coals) every 45-60 minutes or so. The day of the yard party Kyle put the meat on around 4am before he left for work and then left me in charge. I left for 1 hour to exercise and when I came back it was at 118! I freaked and then freaked more because I realize I didn't know how to start the charcoal to get the temp back up (girlscout I was not). A call to family friend and BBQ save-the-day-er Joel Foshea got us back on track and by the time Kyle got home (thankfully early that morning) I had the temp right where it should be. Whew! On-the-job-training. :)
Kyle just asked me to look at the calendar and tell him which of the next few Saturdays we could smoke again...its definitely taken over. :)

















No comments:
Post a Comment