Friday, May 8, 2015

Ode to Bee on Her Birthday

In an email from my mom before her scheduled family birthday dinner at Shady Grove:

 No gifts I desire
  When we dine at Shady.
Just write a short poem
  For this young old Lady!

That's a lot of pressure given my mom's poetic genius. Sid, Alex, Marilyn, Rosalyn, cousin Joey, Owen & Rebecca and I all wrote poems. 

Owen's said something like "What's better than 1 bee or 2 bees? My Bee!" and then there were 63 exclamation points. Rebecca's said "I love you Bee, more than glee!" (her words!) and here is mine.

Ode to a Young Old Lady

 Sixty three minus one day
Our Becky/Mom/Bee is
At oh so many things
She is more than a whiz.

Her pies and her flowers,
Her piano notes singing,
Much joy to us all,
Daily does she go bringing.
Her smile, her heart
Both bigger than huge
At holidays begrudging
Only the scrooge.
"Did you bring me a treat"
The kids ask every time
Seriously - how much she spoils them
Really should be a crime.

But for me - always says yes,
When my babies need sitting.
Plus - she's famous and rich...
Eh...sold screenplay permitting.

So today: happy and thankful
We celebrate our best young old lady
Not a better night could be spent
Than with her at the Shady.
 
I didn't take any photos but Owen ran around the party with my phone and captured these gems...we all look fabulous. 
Kyle + Alison (maybe not the worst picture I've ever taken but definitely the worst one I'll ever put on the internet!)
Alex and the Birthday Yong Old Lady
Sid aka JoJo
Marilyn, Rosalyn, Joey, Deidre (sort of)
Running Maggie and Jumping Rebecca
It was a great night - perfect weather, good food, wonderful company, amazing and hilarious poetry (and I don't mean mine). Happy Birthday Bee, we love you!!!

No comments: