Following our camp week I decided to take the kiddos to the Blue Bell Creamery in Brennam, TX (halfway between Austin and Houston) for a little quality and car time (or quality car time)! I totally lucked out because the day I planned it for Kyle ended up getting off super crazy early so he got to go with us! The kids got their fill of cow-spotting and video-watching and he and I actually got to talk. When we made it to Brennam we stopped for lunch at a little cafe (and bought giant gumballs).

After that we got our tickets and waited for our tour time! (I was surprised at how many people were there on a Monday - it's a good thing they do tours every 5 minutes)!

They don't allow cameras of any kind inside the factory but it was really cool. Owen was especially interested (withe Kyle) in all the machines. It really is quite impressive to see something made on such a large scale. I could share all sorts of factoids with you but you should just go take the tour yourself.
The tour is only about 40 minutes long and then you get a free scoop of any of their main 16 flavors. Owen = mint chocolate chip
Rebecca = magic cookie bar (new)
Maggie = strawberry
Kyle = southern peach cobbler
Alison = cookies and cream
Fake grocery store.
On the way home Kyle gave me a mini-lesson in cow breeds. I think we've had this one before, but it warrants repeating almost every time we're in the country.
Random - this is a GIANT smoker we saw (for sale) on the highway. Kyle laughed at the improbability of being able to maintain a steady temp in that beast - he is a true snob now.
We had a great day! Kyle and I both laughed because we recognize that the tour was effective in its (unstated) primary goal of making people feel loyal towards a type of ice cream. A definite PR win in the Mezger Household. Go Blue Bell!
*Oh, just one fun tid-bit from the tour. The well-known BB saying that "we eat all we can and we sell the rest" is true - all the employees can eat as much ice cream as they want. :)






No comments:
Post a Comment