Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Real October Update

(This is the top of five new posts, so scroll down...Yes, I have been hoarding them and now we're all caught up!)

MAGGIE
Sweet Maggie is almost 5 months old - I can hardly believe it! At her four month appointment she weighted 17 pounds 2 ounces (97th%) and was 25.75 inches long (97th%).
 The biggest news from her end is that her bedtime has moved up considerably. I'd like to take credit for this, but she pretty much did it on her own. Since September its just been inching forward in 1/2 hour increments. It was at 9-10 for a while. Now she's ready to start her bedtime-dinner routine by 7:30 or so, usually in bed by 8:30. Let me be clear - THIS IS AWESOME! It means Kyle and I actually have some time together when all three kids are (theoretically) in bed! It's quiet. So quiet. We have actually gotten to talk to each. And read. And watch old episodes of The Office. Seriously - we love Maggie, but this is life-giving! (And the timing couldn't be better with all we have to do for the house!)

She's still not a fan of the bottle. And by not a fan I mean - hates it with a passion and pretty much refuses to take it. Probably our fault for not introducing it sooner. A few weeks ago, with our pediatrician's approval, I left Maggie with Kyle (armed with bottles and a freezer full of milk) while the kids were at my dad's. The theory was that eventually she'd get hungry enough to take the bottle. And it worked. But not for almost 24 hours. Yep, 24 hours. (Don't call CPS - remember those 4-month size stats.) The next day it was 5 hours. But then no repeat. We can't get consistency and she puts up an extremely painful fight. So...I think we've both lost hope a little bit. But...the silver lining (I'm hoping!!!) is that we can start introducing solid foods now. And if she will take that from a grandparent or babysitter than (from my perspective) its the same as taking a bottle - we can leave her for a couple of hours and know she's fine and so her caretaker. We'll keep you posted...

She's continuing to make lots of new noises. She loves to laugh (sort of a big gasp) when the kids play peekaboo with her. She is still sticking her tongue out almost all of the time and she drools like a little dimply monster. :)  She isn't rolling over yet, but we're playing on the floor a lot more. And we busted out the exersaucer and she's enjoying playing upright! Seems like 5 months has gone by fast...

REBECCA
Seems like potty adventure and 2-year olds go together. So, first things first. Rebecca went pee pee in the potty back in September - for Kyle. It's very important you all catch that last part. Rebecca pee pee'd in the potty for Kyle. That was pretty much an isolated event (because we're not pushing it). Then a few nights ago while was giving her and Owen a bath she pooped. In the tub. We responded like ninjas and got them moved to our tub so Kyle could get them cleaned up (again) and I could clean the kids poop tub. Then she pooped in our tub. Kyle had stepped away to get their soap and when he got back they were both standing out of the tub looking at the evidence. So, back to their (clean) tub. And I cleaned our tub. Rise, repeat. The same night, Rebecca pooped in the potty for Kyle. So, she poops in the bathtub for me, and in the potty for Kyle. 

While pooping adventures is not my favorite part of having a toddler, listening to her sing is! Favorites right now are anything she learns at school from Ms. Jessica (Jeh-Kah), anything her brother sings (Bob the Builder, ABC's, songs from Dahdo/Pam's) and anything form Mary Poppins. This girl love her some Mah Poppen! I'll listen to her falling asleep while singing Let's Go Fly a Kite, plus Feed the Birds. And of course the old standby's Twinkle Twinkle, Itsy Bitzy, Jesus Loves Me. Oh, and by the way - she does not want you to accompany her. This is a solo act. Unless you're Owen - maybe.

Let's talk about other news that goes with being two - fun new words/phrases!
  • pinow (he is very specific about what pillows she wants in her bed)
  • one poney, 2 piggies (her hair options)
  • hurts ME! (what she says when pointing out very old booboos - she'll need a bandan)
  • Bep-Bep (how she says her name - melt my heart) (Our friend Emmy calls her RE-becca.)
  • Bee-Dee (Bailey), Ahnnie - Sisster (Maggie), Pan (Pam)
  • Po me. (Follow me)
  • Raaaaar (sweet and raspy - growling is not just for little boys)
  • What does Swiper say? Ohhhh, Maaaaah(n)! 
  • baby punki(n)! Gotta love October.
  • Ont go Momma bed now! Peeeeese! Her very clear request if she wakes up in the middle of the night. I have caved on a handful of occasions. One night both she and Owen ended up in bed with me (I'm so weak when I'm sleepy!) and we eventually pushed Kyle out - to Owen's bed.
  • Repeating random stuff with Owen - Oh no, my tail!!! (When he eats the tail off of a dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggett
She doesn't just copy Owen's words and games, but his bedtime stall tactics too! Owen - Momma, I don't want to go to bed. Rebecca - Momma, no ont go bed! It's like listening to a song sung in rounds. Owen likes to come out of his room at night to tell us something Rebecca needs (that we just told her, in his presence she can't have). And after we've all done all the kisses and hugs you can imagine, Rebecca will try to stall by telling us we need to give Owen another hug. Even though it makes parenting a little harder when they sort of gang up on us it's soooooo fun to watch them develop their own special relationship. They are truly playing together. And getting into trouble together...

 R has been able to climb up on this for a while, but the other day she and Owen were out playing and through the window I heard him so, "Becca, I am SO proud of you! You climbed up and back down!!!). And he was seriously SO proud. He ran in to tell me what she had done and that he had told her he was SO proud. What a lucky girl to have such a sweet big brother.
 Here they are watching a spikey caterpillar in the backyard. I'm sure Owen is teaching her all sorts of interesting things about it.

OWEN
Seems like there is less to update you about Owen - probably because he just seems to be cruising along in big boy mode. He is such a sweet big brother to his two sisters. He puts up with a lot and usually responds pretty kindly. He loves try to get Maggie to smile and laugh. He loves to get Rebecca going on some silly game - repeating silly stuff or doing silly things. He's probably figured out that she'll pretty much do whatever he tells her to (unless it has to do with sharing). 

A few weeks ago I was the "helping parent" in his preschool class and I forgot his lunch (yes, of all days). Anyways, when I told him he was so sweet about it- he sort of chuckled and said, "Silly Momma, I forgive you!" (I hadn't even asked for forgiveness yet!).

He continues to be Mr. Curiosity. Bugs, letters, maps, outer space, anything construction or train-related. And he continues to be Mr. Story. He can make up a story about anything. And if its your turn to make up a story, he'll be sure to tell you what its about and how it goes...

Here he is playing a little manly football with Kyle. Intense.
 The You Can't Get My Ball face. Watch out.
Okay, seems like that's about it!!! Thanks for hanging in there with us!

No comments: