Tuesday, July 8, 2008

BIG Owen Update

BIG because Owen is big, not because the update is...The "little guy" is 9 months old today (happy birthday!) and he had a pediatrician appointment (no shots--yea!). Here are his stats: 29 3/4 in tall (90th %tile) and 24 lbs. 7.8 ounces (95th %tile). So, in case there was any doubt, he's big. The nurse initially told me 75th %tile in weight but that's b/c she plotted him on the 12 month old chart--so he's essentially the size of a pretty big 1 year old! He thinks b/c Kyle and I are "normal-sized people" that he'll taper off between 1-2 years old when he get more active. So, no worries. :)

Here he is enjoying our friend David's little pool. I had no idea a diaper could be that absorbant! I think it soaked up about half the water in the pool. He had such a good time splashing around. So much so, that it was hard to explain to David (2.5 years old) why he wasn't allowed to splash back!

Here he is getting into trouble (I think Kyle had a hand in this one). We've decided that if some kids are tornadoes (in terms of movement/destructive behavior) Owen is a glacier. He's slow-moving but can carve land masses he's so powerful!

Here we are just playing on a blanket outside. He's a big fan of pulling up on us. He can only get to about his knees, but that doesn't stop him from trying over and over and over again. In terms of general mobility--it seems like his skills evolve daily. I still wouldn't call him a crawler, but he's so close. He can definitely scoot himself backwards when he's on his tummy. I think it frustrates him. Like he means to move forwards, but just ends up somewhere else. Occationally he gets himself wedged under the ottoman or a bed or something--I'll look away for a second and then see just a little head/torso peaking out. It's like the furnature is trying to eat him. In terms of forward motion, it's pretty much limited to the length of his body plus his reach. He loves to go from sitting over his legs (dive-style)--he "crawls" out w/ his hands as far as he can w/out moving his bottom/legs and then pushes himself back up to sitting. Being about to get back to sitting is a huge improvement over the face-planting he was doing, so we're both happy about that. Also, he's starting to bounce (bend at the tummy) to music which is pretty hysterical.

Still talking up a storm. Oh, and of course peekaboo is a big hit, but now I think he's definitely figured out where we are so as soon as he spots us the first time, he's less interested (like he's figured us out and wants to move on to more interesting things). He's also figured out how to turn lights on/off (if we hold him up) and open several draws/cabinets places (DANGER!).

Kyle had to work a rediculous amount last weekend and we got a last-minute invite to spend some time w/ our dear friends Carey and Jason Brege at her familie's lake condo at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. We had a great time w/ them, her sister Martha and her dad, Mr. Dunlap. It was my first time to drive anywhere w/ Owen further than 30 minutes away to the airport, so I was a little anxious, but it all went well. It's about a 2-2.5 hour drive and I just waited until he was asleep and moved him to the car. It's easy to drive w/ him when he's asleep! I am so thankful for these little milestones that mean our world w/ Owen is expanding!

The hightlight of the trip (outside of time w/ friends) was definitely Owen's first boatride! Don't worry--we went very slow. Here we are (Jason driving), everyone else is in front of/facing us. I can only assume that Owen enjoyed it. He was his stoic self--just taking in the sights (like he usually is when we're outside). I think he liked the feeling of the wind in his face and the noise the splashing water made, but what do I know? He definitely took it all in.

That's it for now. Kyle works a bunch this weekend as well (July is a tougher than average month for him this year), so perhaps Owen and I will figure out something fun/creative to do...We'll let you know.

1 comment:

The Fam said...

Have I mentioned I am SOOO excited to see ya in a couple of weeks?! Can you believe 9 months have already gone by since buddy entered and forever changed your world?