According to my sports-savy sources, one of the big topics the last few years in college football has been the changes in conference among teams in Texas (and elsewhere). Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC. What will happen to the age-old rivalry against TU/Texas/those awful Longhorns? Can we still saw varsity's horns off? Will we have anything left to be thankful for on Thanksgiving??? All sports-politics-talking-head-commentator stuff aside, I have been glad about the move because now Kyle and I can hate on some of the same SEC teams! If we're not on the same team, at least we have some of the same enemies. As much as a non-sports-enthusiast can...I hate BAMA, LSU, TENNESSEE (who actually used to be good)... you get the idea.
So when it was time to plan our one trip to College Station for a game this fall, I pretty much strong-armed him to make it the game against Vandy. (Plus the tickets were significantly cheaper than the ones against BAMA). We were able to get really good seats - we were basically on the front row of the lower deck (alumni side - which basically means the side where you don't have to stand up all the time) at the 30(?) yard line (I sort of forgot exactly where).

The weekend before, the Aggies lost a tough game to Auburn and Vanderbilt beat Georgia, so I was cautiously optimistic that a win was possible. I said possible, not probable. :) But just like the games of ol' that I remember from undergrad* Vanderbilt didn't show up until a good ways into the first half, made some good strides evening the score, and then pretty much didn't show up for the 2nd half. (*That's why I only went to a few games in college - too much studying to do to waste an afternoon being disappointed. I know: fair-weather.) The final score was 56-24. Ouch.
Next year I think we would both like to go to a game that we can cheer for the same team. I think Kyle felt like he had to temper his excitement (although he still got his touch-down kisses) and I had a hard time cheering (loudly) for Vandy because I was the ONLY black/gold wearer in a very intimidating sea of maroon. Scary!
I do need to point out that both teams ended their season with 8-4 records (both 4-4 in conference games). And there you have it.

No comments:
Post a Comment