Thursday, August 1, 2013

SIX KIDS - been there, done that.

As my previous mushy post about family alluded - we are super blessed to live near most of our immediate family. Our kids have 3 cousins right about the same age that are some of their best friends. It's really a treat to see them all growing up together. And by together, I mean in the same house. :) 

Luke and Melissa celebrated their TEN YEAR anniversary this summer! Wow, right!?! So, as most busy parents of 3 are, they are in need of a much-deserved adults-only gettaway. So, they hopped a jet plane to Glacier National Park (or whevever you hop a plane to in order to get there) for 3 full days of hiking and other cool stuff - did I hear something about a helicopter ride???

Three full days plus 2 for travel including an early departure means their gaggle had 6 nights of sleepovers! We got round 2 for the first 2 nights (sorry to the two families that came after us). 

Here are a few memorable moments. 

Night 1 our 3 kiddos shared the girls' room - easy. Blair  (their youngest) slept in a pack n play in our close - easy. That left Bailey and Blake to share Owen's room which has 2 beds - easy. Especially easy because Blake didn't want a bed. He actually started the night under Bailey's bed. He ended up at the foot of her bed like a little puppy. (Night 2 we let them convince us to mix things up  - we agreed like a couple of rookies and it didn't go well...so there was some late-night rearranging. In all honesty I should confess that the rearranging was done by our fearless babysitter Kimberly so Kyle and I could take part in a super-fun birthday party for our bestie Christal - so we got off pretty easy.)
Our first day started Nana's pool - I thought O & R had swim lessons so we loaded up the crew (I recruited my mom for help), but apparently I forgot to confirm w/ the teacher so we ended up just having a big play time. Here they are eating their snack during life-guard enforced pool-time-out.
 
Bailey and Blake were fascinated w/ my mom's car. She followed us home and I kept thinking something was wrong because she kept pulling over to put the top up or put it back down. She was just following orders - they just couldn't believe the roof could move!
While the "babies" napped the big kids and I made banana bread. With chocolate chips. Gone within hours.
I guess if you really have 6 kids you can't feed them lunchables for lunch and pizza for dinner every day...but if you only have 6 kids for 2 days you definitely can. :)
Not that there weren't any tiny run-ins with the disobedience-police but all in all we had a great couple of days. Loud, but great. Cousin-Camp was a success!

No comments: