Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June

Summertime summertime. Here's a little glimpse into some of our summertime activities, and a what-are-your-kids-up-to summary. 

When we're not at a pool in the afternoon...we're probably doing this. Hoses, one "wacky" sprinkler, and Nana floating in our kiddy pool. Good times.

We've done something we've never really done before - and hired a babysitter (gasp!) a couple of times during the day this summer. With no preschool it's been the way I've been able to get some stuff done that requires I'm kid-free. 
I have to say, I've loved it...and the kids have really really loved it! Here they all are with Bri - one of our two wonderful new babysitters. Unfortunately, Bri is gone for the rest of the summer (making me jealous of her awesome travels!) but we look forward to having her back some in the fall. It's been really fun (for all of us) to have that young-person energy in the house!
Big Rebecca News: Her First Haircut!
I know you can't believe she's almost 3 and has never had one...but I was afraid of cutting off her curls! So, my mom came over (so at least I'd have someone good to blame if it went terribly wrong).
She started off giving Rebecca a "salon hair wash" - complete with sink wash and mini scalp massage. Spoiled!
And into a highchair and in front of the TV we went! Totally mesmerized.
The first cut.
Rebecca's view.
Happy with the results!
The day R got her hair cut was part of a "Girls' Day" with just us three ladies, because Kyle took Owen to the Ranch for a "Guys' Day" - some time with the boys to shoot guns. They spent the morning at Big Sandy (creek) - they're planning some sort of attack with their water gun in this picture.
Target practice.
The boys.
That's all my pictures...

Here's the what's up portion. 

Owen: 
  • Really really REALLY into snakes these days. Obsessed is more like it. It's totally replaced outer space. Nana has taken him a couple of times to a pet store - the owner gave him a book about snakes. He loves us to read it to him and has memorized a crazy # of snake facts. He practices drawing snakes almost every day during quiet time. And he asked me if he can have a snake party for his birthday. At least he hasn't asked for a pet snake. Yet. 
  • You get what you pay for. Something Owen is starting to understand. When the HEB goggles I bought him broke. I told him they were cheap. He asked how much they cost and I told him $2. And without skipping a beat he informed me that he needed a new pair and he thought they should cost $4. 
  • Rebecca broke a little wooden craft he had just made. I told him we could fix it with some glue. He went and thanked her for breaking it because glue is sooooo cool.  
Rebecca:
  • We've had our 2nd trip to the emergency room with this one - for the same thing - only a different arm. Another "nurse maid's elbow" dislocation. Again, she was with a grandparent. What it is with these guys??? Everything turned out fine and a wonderful pediatric orthopaedist popped it back in (and showed Kyle the move for next time)
  • Rebecca has self-proclaimed "incredible eyesight" - not sure where she got this (I'm fairly certain it's not something that Kyle or I have ever talked about - regarding her or anyone else)...but she likes to tell us she'll find X with her incredible eyesight! 
  • She's been in a silly mood recently regarding dressing up. Forget princess dresses and tiaras. She prefers to go into Owen's closet and layer on his pajamas, then put socks on her feet and hands, shoes on her feet and hands and lots of pullups or his underwear on her head. Another version is about 5-8 pullups on her legs so she's kind of got a mermaid tale (although I'm not sure she's made that connection). 
  • Maggie's new-found mobility (more on that in a sec) has also prompted some less than sweet and gentle behavior recently. Lots of testing. Lots of time-out. I remember this stage with Owen. Sigh. 
Maggie:

  • No pictures of Maggie this post - but did you see the ones below?! Aren't they gorgeous of her little self!!! 
  • So - SHE CAN CRAWL!!! It started 1 day before her first birthday. Just under the wire! She had been getting pretty well before that - scooting, rolling, inching her way into trouble. But how she's really on the move. Trashcans are off the floor. Bottom shelves of bookcases are (or need to be) emptied. Watch out! (Incidentally, when she started - Nana was SO thrilled to see her starting to get into everything! She was like - Yea! She crawled and pulled all the papers off my coffee table! Go Maggie!!!)
  • SHE IS COMPLETELY WEENED! Momentous. Harder for me than for her. 
  • She is sleeping on her tummy some! This is seemingly so weird for a baby who we could not get to go on her tummy for the live of us!
  •  When all else fails - PEEKABOO! 
  • Loves seeing herself in the mirror now. 
  • Loves being upside down (and seeing people upside down).
  • She has learned to give high-fives just in the past couple of days. Each of us (me, Kyle, Owen & Rebecca - all individually take credit for teaching her.)
  • Had her first sleepover and Dahdo and Pam's this past Saturday night. This is huge! Do you get it!? We had all three kids spend the night and we had a (group) date and fun night out!!! We even slept in - 10:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah-maz-ing!
I think that's it for now. I'm out of town this weekend but will report back (about the house, among other things) next week some time. Stay out of the heat!

No comments: