Thursday, April 14, 2011

Two Big Events

We always thought Cousin Bailey or even Little Sis Rebecca would be the first to get stitches or a cast. But parenthood is filled with surprises, right? I'll let Owen tell you what happened yesterday around lunchtime...
 
(He didn't really get hurt by the swing, but he slipped underneath it and bonked his head against the edge of the Muke's stone patio.) He was very brave about the whole thing. The worst part of it was irritating the wound (both what Kyle did at Luke and Mel's right after it happened, and what the nurse at Urgent Care did). FYI: Staples was definitely the way to go. No stingy lidocaine shot and trying to sit still for stitches...just two quick pinches and done.

The video is pretty dark, so here is a still shot of his first childhood battle scar.
Owen learned all about blood and bone and how God made our bodies to heal themselves, and sometimes doctors and nurses get to help. A very hands-on lesson he probably won't soon forget. 

And I learned to give a little more explanation to Kyle over the phone instead of "Come to Luke and Mel's immediately" - hang up. My excuse was that I had a bleeding, crying, shaking toddler in my arms...but I should have realized that he would think the worse, especially with a very prego wife. Next time I'll do better. :)

Okay, and just because we like to cram as much excitement into one day as possible...the kids had their first night sleeping in the same room last night! (Honestly, yesterday was as good as any other day - and maybe better because we knew Owen at least would be extra sleepy - having skipped his nap in exchange for a trip to Urgent Care.)

(Sorry the video is so dark again - tips anyone?) You can just barely make out that she's jumping in bed like a monkey on a caffeine high. (Oh, Kyle "apologizes" for calling them his siblings.)

 
We knew we wanted to give them some time in the same room before Baby #3 gets here...so hopefully the novelty of a roommate will wear off a little and it won't take over an hour to fall asleep! 

At one point Owen came to tell me (again) that Rebecca was keeping him awake (not that him running around the room had anything to do with it) and I learned that he was trying to sleep under her crib - blanket, pillow and all. We had a good talk about staying in his bed. We also defined the word "ignore" for him - he needed to just pretend she wasn't there. Yea right!

All in all I'd call it a success though. They finally went to sleep (Owen first). No one woke up in the middle of the night and it was really sweet to hear them wake up together this morning. And so begins a new chapter!

1 comment:

Lynne in NC said...

Yay! on the sibs making it through the night in one room together. I hope they continue to do well in the same room.It will certainly make life easier for a while for you with a newborn.
Owen is now a member of an exclusive club, ya know?! I have stitches in two different places on my noggin'.Both involved my older brother. Hmmmmm.....
Thanks so much for sharing the videos. I don't know about the darkness, although I do know there needs to be some light in the room for the camera's eye to pick up. Don't know the solution though...
Hugs to all.