Wednesday, January 13, 2010

All C's are T's

All of Owen's "C's" sound like "T's" and all of Owen's "G's" sound like "D's". This is the key to understanding everything he says. I still have to remind myself of this often...

Here is the lucky little guy playing w/ his two best buds--cousin Bailey, and Emmy. It's amazing how much fun a pack 'n play is when you fill it with plastic balls. Think Chuck E Cheese...Owen playing Kyle's guitar (as well as Kyle? :) and taking a bow afterwards. The bow is by far the best part. He kept telling Kyle to let go so he could hold it by himself. Bossy little booger. :)
One morning Owen told me he wanted to get dressed, so I said okay, let's go get your clothes. But he told me no, "I do it myself". I sort of didn't believe him and stayed in the play room playing with Rebecca. A few minutes later he came back in with his jammies completely unzipped and hanging on by one foot. He's definitely wanting to big a big boy these days!
Bee had "bike bootcamp" at her house-this is the trike that she gave him last Christmas...he's finally big enough to really get the hang of pedaling and steering.
Owen and Bailey w/ Nana leaving Gymboree after a playdate. Too much fun.
In other "big boy news," Owen is potty-training himself. What I mean by that is that we're not really doing anything formal yet (and we're still keeping him in diapers until he's totally totally ready), but he's become very interested in the potty. We got him a little potty a while back because he expressed some interest. Now he's in a little routine where each time we change his diaper (especially a dirty one), he asks to go sit on the potty. He almost always goes pee pee. He gets very excited and gets a sticker. He gets upset when I rinse out the potty because he wants Kyle to see it when he gets home from work. This is definitely a step in the right direction but we're not going to push it.

Okay, and here's the list I've been accumulating recently of Owen's doing/sayings:

-Teaching us what we've taught him...1) He's likes to remind us to greet other people. If you come over to our house, he'll make everyone stop and say hello to every other person in the room. It comes from all the times we've said, "Say hi to ___, Owen". 2) Owen loves to say thank you (what a great habit)! He pretty much screamed "Thank you for the gro-cer-ies!!!" to the man helping us check out at the store the other day. Latter that week as Bee was walking out the front door after a quick visit, Owen ran after her and yelled out the front door, "Thank you for playing trucks!!!". Thank you's--often and loud.

-Owen has an increasingly large arsenal of stall tactics. He likes to hold up one finger and say, "one more minute" or "one second" or "one more______" (of whatever he wants). I guess this is something he has heard before...He also has a growing list of things he asks for when going to bed. Water, one more book, one more song, one more, one more. The newest is "why" and "why not". Oh, boy. We're actually saying things like "because I said so". I usually end up having to ask Owen--what did I just tell you?, so he'll repeat the reason. About 50% of the time he still asks me again. He also likes to play 2 people off of each other if he doesn't like the first answer he gets (hello, human nature)--if I say no to something and Kyle is around, he'll look at Kyle and say, "what did momma say?"--somehow hoping the answer will change in translation. This can go on for several rounds. One recent episode where his Bee actually told him no (a rare thing) has been recounted several times as if the incident was quite shocking and traumatizing to himself.

-Yesterday means sometime in the past. Tomorrow means sometime in the future. Today means right now. And everything is ____ time. Since we have bathtime and dinnertime, Owen insists we also have truck time, milk time, drawing time, on and on and on. Whatever he wants to do...it's (that) time. And it's today. Or if he doesn't want to, he says, "not today".

-The other day he wanted some help with something and I said he'd have to wait a minute because I was feeding Rebecca to which he replied, "help me with one hand".

-He recently put himself in time out for no apparent reason. I told him he didn't have to stay there--that he could come out. He replied, "no, not yet".

-It seems like Owen is constantly singing. His favorites are Old MacDonald (he always has a "tow"/cow) and Twinkle Twinkle "trintle trintle woodul star"...He gets at 75% of the lyrics right and it is one of my favorite things to listen to in the whole world. Sometimes he just goes around the house singing EIEIOooooo (or his other version: Isa, Isa, Iiiiiii). He sings when he wakes up, when he's going to sleep, when he's looking out the window of the car. He also really likes the "clean up" song he learned at school, although he prefers to sing and have others do the cleaning.

-He is very much into names. He has been learning the last names of family members and friends. Metzer. Matarory. If I'm talking to a clerk at a store or something he asks me (as if they cannot hear)--Momma, what is dat friend's name? He also likes to scribble a bunch of circles on his easle and then say, "That is your name--see!!!--Metzer!". "Wook, wook, what I draw for you!".


1 comment:

Lynne in NC said...

Owen is one awesome little dude.
Thanks for sharing his milestones with us.
love ya!