Here is the birthday guy w/ Bee. We had lots of fun friends from the party--most of our Bible Study, Tanya and Lee from Durham, other Redeemer friends and our favorite neighbors; it was great to get everyone together and eat and play w/ the kids and enjoy the beautiful afternoon outside. Also, we had a lot of fun watching the giant mylar "1" balloon that Owen accidentally set free float away--it was amazing how far you could see it on such a clear day.
And here's what first birthdays are really all about...his first cake. (We have a really great video of the whole ordeal but its too long to post...sad.) Initially, he went at it with his little pincer grip and picked at it as if he were trying to pick off all the colored sprinkles. That lasted until I picked it up and held it in front of his face, thinking he would just go for it. He moved his head towards it a few times (hands shaking w/ excitement) but he always backed up before taking a bite, as if he was too overwhelmed. Finally, we cut it open w/ a knife and what you would expect finally happened. It really didn't get everyehwere until the end, when he got a nice bit in his hair, ears, eyes and nostrils.
Doesn't he look like such a big boy? In some ways it really is hard to believe its been a year and in other ways I can't remember our lives without him...I have vague memories of doing a lot less laundry and seeing a lot more movies, but I know we wouldn't trade it for the world.
I know at this age a party is mostly (if not all) about us (and having fun pictures to show him someday) so by those standards the party was a hit! It's also good to be reminded of how very very very blessed we are to have Owen Timothy in our lives--to celebrate both all that God has given us, and who He is. On that note...here's a look back. Enjoy.
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Party Day
Happy Birthday Owen! One year ago today he was born and boy are we glad!
My mom (Bee) came into town Thursday evening and after Gymboree on Friday morning we finally made it to the store. We didn't start getting food ready until dinnertime, so we were up pretty late. We made chicken tortilla soup, a chicken ceasar salad sanwhich on chiabatta bread (hard to eat but yummy), several dips including the world-famous guacamole from Sarah Jane's Houston Aunt, and two kinds of cupcakes which (not to be boastful), but I was very proud of: vanilla vanilla, and chocolate w/ peanut butter icing--I think there were about 5 dozen total. Plus, Owen had is very own little 6-inch cake--perfect for destroying! Perhaps it was all a little overboard--but that's what Bee and I do...I sort of think I can't help it, and why would I want to!--I like it!



We had Owen's first birthday party on Saturday and had such a wonderful time. We were lucky enough to get to use the wonderful playground at our church--perfect for a bunch of little people and us big people too! The weather was absolutely perfect and I think everyone had a good time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think I shed a tear.
Beautiful pictures--of his Birth-date and his one year pictures! I loved the one of you and him--hey, I loved them all. You have inspired me to take Titus for some professional pictures soon. :)
Adorable! Wish we could have been there. :-) Hugs to you all and congratulations for the big first year. Love from all.
Post a Comment