Well, the big guy and I made it through our first week by ourselves! Every day (and night) was different--what seemed to work one day didn't work the next--but we're learning! Kyle had last weekend off which was great because it gave me a break and since we didn't have any company we got to just hang out the three of us.
Owen is doing great. He's sleeping for longer stretches at night and we're starting to learn (I think) what his different cries and other noises (and believe me, there are many other noises) mean. It's so great to feel like we sort of know what we're doing...at least more than the week before!
A couple of "milestones" this week: we had his first bath with NO crying. To say that he cried during all his other baths is really an understatement...we're talking shriek of the banshees. And then the other night he just decided that this bath thing isn't so bad. He maintained a pretty somber face the whole time (like he was concerned), but he didn't cry!
He's also looking around a LOT more...his eyes are bright and he loves to stare at faces and the ceiling (even above more interesting things). And this morning I think he smiled for the first time while awake and not passing gas...it was really early in the morning so I might have dreamed it, and it hasn't happened since, but I'm pretty sure that was it. I am soooo looking forward to that being a regular, repeatable occurrence!
To commemorate his first month birthday, I wanted to make hand and foot prints for a little frame/kit someone gave us. Thank goodness this stuff was water-based! It was everywhere...all over Owen, Kyle (who was holding him), and the kitchen. But we got the prints! (And to think that this episode is what preceded the cry-free bath!)
Owen and I had our first public outing together--just the two of us. We went to the grocery store!!! (Doesn't he look happy about it? Kyle said he must like grocery shopping just about as much as his mom...which means not a lot.) Luckily, he likes the baby bjorn (carrier) so hopefully this can be a regular outing!
1 comment:
ahh, that's great that he made it through a bath without crying! As one who's experienced the bath-time shrieking, that's a huge breakthrough! I love reading the updates :).
Post a Comment